Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
A creamy and hearty soup loaded with cabbage and smoked sausage.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head green cabbage, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add butter to the grease in the Dutch oven and cook carrots and onion over medium-heat until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add cabbage and cook and stir for a minute or two, until the cabbage wilts some.
Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, bouillon cube, and brown sugar.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until potatoes are soft.
Add sausage, black pepper, caraway seeds, thyme, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Serve.