Sweet and Tangy Four Bean Salad is an old-fashioned potluck favorite that you probably remember your grandmother making. Beans, celery, red onion, and pimentos are marinated in a sweet and tangy dressing.
Sweet and Tangy Four Bean Salad is best made a day or two or even three in advance so it’s the perfect make-ahead potluck offering and it is great for family gatherings.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. It makes a great side for hot dogs, burgers, or barbecued chicken.
I use kidney beans, green beans, wax beans, and garbanzo beans, but you can switch the beans up. Navy beans, black beans, or black-eyed peas would be good and even edamame will work in this recipe.
Sweet and Tangy Four Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can wax beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add remaining ingredients, except green onions. Stir. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 48 hours.
- Garnish with green onion.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Potluck Favorites
11 thoughts on “Sweet and Tangy Four Bean Salad”
Reminds me of what I would get at the grocery store and at BBQ’s growing in NC! I reduced the amount of oil so it’d be lower calorie and that worked well. Thanks for posting!
Thank you Anne!
Love this salad, super easy to make. I unadjusted the canola oil to a 1/4 cup. I also replaced pimento with a half of red pepper finely chopped. Perfect salad to bring to party or barbecue as it can be made a day ahead.
Just added a little more salt and pepper, DELICIOUS!!!
Just made this for a group of guys for after a day-long competition. Has anyone put garlic powder in this recipe? I made it as is and it’s delish, but I’m wondering if garlic powder would enhance it. Thanks
I add thinly diced garlic cloves to mine. It adds a wonderful flavor.
This is a salad that just bursts with flavor. The only reason I didn’t follow it as written is that I used what I had on hand. The dressing I made as written and it definitely is the star of the show. Thank you for a great recipe.
I love this recipe because it’s delicious as written, I’ve made it several times for picnics too. Gets better day after day in the fridge.
Great balance of sweet and tangy!
It is very difficult to finally find the recipe with several,pages of ads and huge pics of the same thing before we ever find the recipe! It is very frustrating!
Just keep scrolling, scrolling, scrolling.