Watergate Cupcakes are the cupcake version of the famous Watergate Salad made from pistachio pudding mix, pineapple, cool whip, and marshmallows and they are the perfect nostalgic treat.
To make a cupcake version as close as possible to my Watergate Salad Recipe, I added a box of pistachio pudding mix and an 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple to a vanilla cupcake batter. Most Watergate Cake or cupcake batters are made by doctoring a box of cake mix, but I was in the mood to make one from scratch.
The cupcake part is super moist with just a little texture contrast from the crushed pineapple. Both the flavor of the pistachio and pineapple are evident, but not overpowering. I put in about 6 drops of green food coloring to make sure the cupcakes were extra photogenic, but the pistachio pudding alone will give them a green hue.
Since Watergate Salad has marshmallows mixed in, I wanted to incorporate them somehow and I decided to use marshmallow fluff to make the frosting. Mixed with butter and confectioners’ sugar, it’s a light and sweet frosting with a velvety smooth texture.
This wouldn’t have been a cupcake I would have enjoyed when I was younger. Nope. I was all about the chocolate then.
And the fact that I like them now is definitely a sign that I’m getting older. Like maybe not that many years away from being a grandma old.
And the thought of that makes me want to go back to eating nothing but chocolate.
But seriously. A green cupcake covered in marshmallow fluff frosting. That’s super fun.
And only for the young at heart. 😉
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant pistachio pudding
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- ¾ cups butter, softened
- 1 jar marshmallow creme
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Chopped pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at at time, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- With mixer on low, add in remaining cupcake ingredients. Turn to medium-speed and beat for about 20 seconds, or until batter is an even consistency.
- Pour into prepared cupcake cups and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to beat butter and marshmallow fluff until smooth. Gradually add in confectioners' sugar. Mix in vanilla extract and milk.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes. This is easiest to do using a pastry bag or plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Sprinkle with pecans.