This Easy Tortellini Soup recipe uses a jar of spaghetti sauce and a package of refrigerated tortellini to make a super quick and tasty tomato-based soup. Add in some frozen mixed vegetables, chicken broth, and plenty of seasonings and you have a hot, comforting meal on the table in just over 20 minutes.
There’s something inherently fun about the shape of tortellini and who doesn’t love a cheese filling?
To make this meal vegetarian use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. For the spaghetti sauce, I like to use Prego or Ragu since they are inexpensive and frequently on sale. But you can use any brand.
Be sure not to overcook the tortellini. You actually want to undercook them some, especially if you are not eating the soup right away. They will continue to cook as the soup sits.
Easy Tortellini Soup is simple, comforting, and delicious. Sprinkle some fresh Parmesan cheese on top and serve with some crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 24-ounce jar of spaghetti sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 12-ounce bag mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans, corn)
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 package fresh tortellini (in refrigerator section of store)
- Parmesan Cheese
- In a large pot add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients (except tortellini and Parmesan) and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook for 1 minute. Turn heat off. Tortellini will continue to cook in the warm liquid.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan Cheese.