I’m sharing #SausageFamily in my life as part of a Johnsonville sponsored series for Socialstars™
Stovetop Sausage Mac and Cheese makes a hearty family meal and it can be made in under 30 minutes using only one pan.
I love the flavor that ground sausage adds to mac and cheese and the fact that it makes it feel more like a main dish.
I like to use Johnsonville All Natural Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage. It is so convenient and easy to cook with because it comes packaged the way ground beef does . Just unwrap the package and toss the sausage in a pan to brown it. There’s no need to get your hands all messy trying to remove the sausage from casings.
Johnsonville Italian Mild Ground Sausage has so much depth of flavor with the perfect blend of Italian herbs and spices.
Because Johnsonville Italian Mild Ground Sausage has so much flavor, only a few ingredients are needed to make this cheesy and delicious mac and cheese. I like to cook a little onion with the sausage. Once the sausage is cooked and crumbled, I add a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of half-and-half, and an 8-ounce package of macaroni.
Let it simmer until the macaroni is cooked and then add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. It may look a little liquidy at first but once the cheese is melted and mixed in and it cools slightly, it will really thicken up.
Stovetop Sausage Mac and Cheese couldn’t be easier to make and there are hardly any dishes to clean.
Got to love a meal that can be on the table in under 30 minutes and is so cheesy and satisfying with a bite of yummy ground sausage in every bite!
For more Italian sausage meal ideas, visit Johnsonville.com.
- 1 pound Johnsonville Italian Mild Ground Sausage
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 (8-ounce) package macaroni pasta
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Place sausage and onion in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking sausage apart with a wooden spoon, until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes, water, half-and-half, and macaroni. Cook, stirring frequently for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the cheddar cheese will add some saltiness.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and stir until melted and mixed in. Remove from heat.