My husband and I just went out for an evening run and I daresay there was a little chill in the air. Time to start making some comfort food!
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my all-time favorite foods. Isn’t it everyones? This Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all the traditional flavors of a chicken Pot Pie, but in soup form.
Tender chunks of chicken breast in a thick, creamy broth with plenty of potatoes, green beans, peas, and carrots. Yum!
And what is the best part of chicken pot pie? Well the pie crust of course! And you don’t have to sacrifice it with this soup. In fact, you can even have extra pie crust if you want. Just take a refrigerated pie crust, lay it flat on a baking sheet, and pop it in the oven until it’s lightly browned. Cut into triangles with a pizza cutter before it cools and you have delicious pie crust pieces that you can either dip into the soup or crumble on top. Of course, if you’re feeling ambitious, you can make your own pie dough.
If you’re serving more than 4 people, you may want to go ahead and bake up 2 pie crusts. Just to make sure there’s no fighting over it 🙂
- 2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (place in bowl of water until ready to use)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ½ cup celery
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups frozen mixed veggies (green beans, peas, corn,and carrots)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- additional salt to taste
- 1 store bought (refrigerated) pie crust
- Bring 2 quarts of water and ½ teaspoon salt to boil in a Dutch oven.
- Add chicken and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and add chicken bouillon to water. Turn heat up some and boil until reduced in half, about 10 minutes.
- Let chicken cool slightly and then dice into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add flour to skillet and whisk into oil/butter mixture to form a roux. Add Italian seasoning and pepper and cook 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk roux into water/bouillon mixture in the Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables and diced chicken and simmer 5-8 minutes
- Stir in cream and simmer 3 minutes. Do a taste test and add additional salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pie crust and place flat on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown. Cut into pie shaped pieces and serve with soup.