Banana and Nutella are an awesome flavor combination in these Banana Cupcakes topped with Nutella Frosting. I should probably tell you how these banana cupcakes are perfectly moist with plenty of banana flavor and a not too dense texture. But Nutella Frosting is so good everything else pales in comparison! I’m usually somewhat hesitant to make anything with Nutella because it tastes so insanely perfect right out of the jar.
But if it is possible to improve upon perfection, Nutella Frosting does just that.
There’s still plenty of that amazing Nutella flavor, it’s just transformed into a fluffier and creamier and even more awesome texture when made into a buttercream.
Nutella Frosting is deliciously addictive and the perfect compliment to a banana cupcake if you can refrain from eating it all straight from the bowl.
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups mashed banana
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, almost room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half (or heavy cream or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together mashed banana, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and egg yolk and mix well.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with banana mixture in 2 additions.
- Divide batter between prepared muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes, or until just firm on top.
- Let cool a few minutes in pan and then remove from pan to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and beat on low until smooth. Add nutella and beat on medium until fully mixed in. Beat in half-and-half and vanilla. Frost cupcakes using a pastry bag fitted with a large tip or with an offset spatula.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious